Thursday 22 July 2010

Volunteering has helped give me back my confidence

People volunteer for a myriad of different reasons. Over the next few weeks we will be sharing with you the experiences of some of the people who volunteer in Solihull. This first post is from a Volunteer of the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust.

"When I was asked to write an article on my own personal reasons why I became a volunteer at the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust I was delighted as it was my golden opportunity to share with others the wonderful opportunity of voluntary work for those that have been not only ill, but mentally ill such as myself. As a schizophrenia sufferer I was sent through an agency whose task it is to find voluntary work to help those who've been ill recover and get back into the swing of things.

The staff at the Parkridge Centre – Solihull have been a pillar of strength and have extended the hand of friendship so freely that going to work is one of the highlights of the week –fact! I have found that not only do they give me credit for what I am capable of, they actually try to save up work for the next time I come into the office. The work is fun, interesting, a wide variance of people and someone who is always willing to help if I am unsure about anything.

It is directly due to the National Health Service and the team at the Wildlife Trust that I feel my confidence returning. I feel less isolated and feel worthwhile again as doing voluntary work helps make me feel I am contributing. Thanks to all very very much."

More details of the Warwickshire Wildlife Trust can be found on their website
http://www.warwickshire-wildlife-trust.org.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment