Friday 6 November 2009

Small things matter

How many times have you come across small gestures of generosity, the help and support that changed somebody's life? We all experience and know about it. The nice neighbour who holds our spare keys in case we get locked out, the person on the bus or in the queue who starts an encouraging conversation on a bad day, the many nice smiles strangers give us, the neighbour who takes our parcels in when we are at work.

All these little acts of kindness happen all around us, yet we often only hear about the many negative things . Wouldn't we enjoy reading about amazing little gestures that change the world?

At the Solihull Volunteer Managers Forum(VMF) we believe that all these lovely people who brighten other people's days should be celebrated. So for next year's National Volunteer Week( 01 June- 7th June 2010) we are celebrating the SMALL THINGS THAT MATTER.

So please share with us your story of the small gestures of kindness that you have experienced or been involved with.

6 comments:

  1. Small things really do matter. I agree with Mother Theresa when she said, "We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." I live a long way from my family which is scattered all round the UK, so when my Grandmother reached the stage that she could no longer go out regularly and talk to others, no family was on hand to visit on a regular basis. But, a young girl who lived nearby used to bake cakes for her family every Saturday and she'd bake an extra batch for my Nan which she'd take round and then sit and with her having a cup of tea and a chat. Those Saturday afternoons were something that my Nan would look forward to and it helped us, her family to know that somebody cared and was looking out for her when we couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The small things really do matter - my partner prefers to do all his shopping online which means lots of parcels arriving at our front door - our wonderful neighbours happily accept them and then bring them round when we are home from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a terrible year last year, I was diagnosed with cancer and underwent chemotherapy, my mother-in-law died and my husband was made redundent, my youngest child was diagnosed with a life long disability and absolutely nothing seemed to go right. But at such a time you really learn who gives without wanting anything in return. My son's friend's mother would offer to collect my youngest son from school if I felt too ill to go out, would phone and just let me ramble on without wanting anything in return, would give me small hand made presents that somehow lifted me out of the doldrums. Why she did this I don't know, up till then we'd never really been friends, but these small things really helped me to stay positive and come through the other end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As we're busy preparing for Christmas, buying the perfect present, decorating the house, it's easy to forget that it's often the simplest things and smallest gestures that mean the most. Spending time with somebody who would otherwise spend Christmas alone could be the best Christmas present you give.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My friend mentioned this post to me. I think it's a fantastic idea. My contribution to the small things reallty matter discussion - I live near a group of shops with a band of grass nearby. Everyday I see an elderly woman picking up the litter that others have carelessly thrown there. I stopped and spoke to her recently and she said that far from thinking that she was doing anything special, it was her lifeline allowing her to speak to people everyday instead of being locked into her own home, isolated and lonely. Her gesture of helping to keep the environment and streets tidy, not only helps others but makes life better for her as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A complete stranger listening on the phone to all my worries, never judging, never forcing their opinion on me, but guiding me through to calm at the end. Yes, small things do matter, small things sometimes save lives.

    ReplyDelete